Wednesday 21 May 2014

Strong Women. . . They State Fact

So I've been on a power binge! No, no not a power walk craze. Or anything to do with exercise. But I have been addicted to power ballads recently. And by power ballads, I mean by the likes of Whitney Houston. You know, the old soul, powerful, strong woman-y vibes she gives off? (Ok so I know I could have said feminine there buuuut that's too soft. And soft is not the sort of vibe Whitney gives out. She give woman-y, gumption infused sort of vibes).

So the reason I talk about strong women is because I am one. Haha just kidding. I mean, I think I am but you can't really self-profess yourself to be one can you? Only arrogant people do that. . . Oh wait? ;)

Ok so I was listening to two songs non stop the other day. They're old but they're pure classics. The two song were:

I Have Nothing
by
Whitney Houston

and

And I Am Telling You
by
Jennifer Hudson

   Now, these might not seem like the typical love song. because when people think of love songs, they normally think of I Will Always Love You or something mushy like that, which is fine. But I actually love these songs so much because even though these two women are dependent on the man they are talking about/singing to, they are still strong, independent women. Sound contradictory? You should be used to that by now ;) But let me explain:

I Have Nothing by Whitney Houston

So this is my all time favourite Whitney song. What I love about it is even though she is asking this dude to stay with her, she doesn't lose her gumption. For example, the line:

Stay in my arms if you dare

She wants him to stay, but she can't help but challenge him with the 'if you dare' add on. We all know she didn't have to say that (ok so for rhyming reasons she did) but it reminds me of when you're young and stupid and you answer your mum back when she's having a go at you but it's so quiet that it comes out as a whispered mumble. But Whitney ain't scared. Oh no. Whitney, she gets angry. Because at the end of the song she goes and says it...:

Don't walk away from me, no.
Don't walk away from me
Don't you dare walk away from me

See? It's kinda like her being like:

*with shoe menacingly in hand*  "Boy I told you I have nothing if you ain't here with me. So pack your things and stay loyally by my side. I'm not saying it again".

So yeah, that's that. 

And I Am Telling You by Jennifer Hudson
So if you've seen Dreamgirls, you'll definitely know what I'm on about. Yeah, that song where Effie (played beautifully by JHud) finds out she preggers with that dudes baby. She's ditched by the band (because let's face it, she was hard work and hella scary) and so, as you do, she breaks into song. And it's an absolute wondrous belter!!!!! 

I love this song so much. Like literally, it is amazing. Because even though she's in absolute despair, she still isn't begging. No, Effie don't beg, just like Joey doesn't share food. Listen:

And I am telling you
I'm not going
You're the best man I'll ever know
There's no way I could ever, ever go
No, no, no, no way
No, no, no, no way I'm living without you
Oh, I'm not living without you,
Not living without you
I don't wanna be free
I'm staying, I'm staying
And you, and you, and you
You're gonna love me

 Yeah, you don't mess with Effie. Because she's staying. I absolutely love this!!!! She's desperate for this mans' love because she loves him so much. And she's not going anywhere. And he will love her. 

So there's my take on those two songs. Don't get me wrong, I would never try and chase someone who wasn't interested in me for me, nor would I get with someone who wanted me to drastically change. But you've gotta admire this gumption right? They never beg. But they're telling. And just because they need somebody (don't sing Kings of Leon, don't.... you know that I could use somebodyyyy... aaah you can't not!). But yeah, just because they need somebody doesn't mean that they're not strong or independent.

So let's just have a moment to think of all them strong women out there. Mums, sisters, aunts, grandmas... because everyone has struggled (women and  men but guys, this is about women so... yeah... sorry about that). And their struggle was and is real. And yet they fight.

So yeah, hope you've enjoyed this post! I know it's quite different from the usual and I'm not sure my guy readers will appreciate it as much but hey, you guys continue to surprise me so you never know! Oh and just a little announcement: I'm getting my Toad nails removed today ='( So a little moment of silence for them maybe?

Keep Smiling folks!

Ditzy xXx

If you wanna follow me on social media I'd appreciate it guys =)

Twitter: @ditzypolkadot
Instagram: @ditzypolkadot

No comments:

Post a Comment